WP6 – Policy framing and relevance
- Prof. Nick Voulvoulis (Work Package Lead) - Imperial College London
- Dr Theodoros Giakoumis - Imperial College London
Current approaches to environmental regulation of chemicals do not include the broader ecosystem view and can potentially be over or under protective. The approaches and modelling techniques developed in previous work packages can improve our understanding and certainty of the impacts of chemicals on the environment and the ability to predict how the environment and its functioning will respond to chemical exposure that regulators or industry are currently facing or might face in the future in the UK.
This WP aims to facilitate the transformation in the way chemical risk assessment is considered, toward one with greater ecological relevance and more explicit emphasis on sustainable ecosystems.
- Conduct policy analysis and review ccurrent approaches to environmental regulation of chemicals.
- Inform other WPs about policy gaps, commitments and trends to ensure that scientific findings will be aligned.
- Explore how project outputs can support ecologically relevant chemical risk assessment.